How To Pick The Right Moisturizer For Your Skin Type
Enter a cosmetics store and you will find a plethora of moisturizers on the counter. These moisturizing lotions and creams vary in one way or the other and no single product suits all. That means a moisturizer that’s perfect for normal skin may not be apt for those with oily or combination skin. That’s why dermatologists recommend using a moisturizer according to skin type. Follow our guide to discover how to pick the best moisturizer for your facial skin depending on your skin type.
Choosing A Moisturizer According To Skin Type
Generally, skin types are classified into four categories – normal, oily, dry, and combination. Here’s how to pick the best moisturizer for men or women with these skin types.
1. Normal Skin
Normal skin is well-balanced skin characterized by even skin tone, barely visible pores, and no severe sensitivity. The skin has a radiant complexion and is neither too dry nor too oily. The moisture and sebum production is balanced. Individuals with normal skin should opt for moisturizing creams that are thinner than ointments and more hydrating than moisturizing lotions. The following ingredients are best suited for normal skin:
- Aloe vera
- Hyaluronic acid
- Shea butter
2. Dry Skin
If you have dry skin, your skin is tight and often flaky. You have almost invisible pores and more fine lines. Individuals with dry skin have less elasticity in their skin due to less sebum production. The skin feels itchy, dull, rough, and prone to rashes. This skin type becomes drier or more irritated during winters, after contact with water, and due to the use of harsh chemicals.
Well, the best moisturizer for dry skin is the one that’s heavy and has the ability to ‘lock in’ the moisture. The best moisturizer for dry skin must have the following ingredients:
- Oils, plant-based butter, and hyaluronic acid for hydration.
- Glycerin to main pH levels.
- Petrolatum and mineral oil to seal in hydration.
3. Oily Skin
Oily skin produces excess sebum due to which skin especially throughout the T-zone feels greasy, thick, and shiny. This type of skin has less visible wrinkles and feature enlarged-looking pores. If you have oily skin, your skin is more prone to pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, and other breakouts.
In this case, the best moisturizer for men/women with oily skin is the one that’s water-based instead of oil-based. The moisturizer should be light and hydrate the skin without adding in the oil. The best moisturizer for men or women having oily skin should also be non-comedogenic that won’t clog your pores. Look out for the following ingredients if you have oily skin type:
- Linoleic acid
- Hyaluronic acid
- Glycolic acid
- Aloe Vera
- Salicylic acid
- Kaolin clay
- Grapeseed oil
- Green tea
4. Combinational Skin
People with combinational skin have dry cheeks while oily T-zone. The skin has larger-looking pores, dry patches, blackheads, whiteheads, and acne. Such skin is shiny on the nose, chin, and forehead. If you have this skin type, use a light moisturizer or lotion on the face except for the cheeks. Settle for heavy cream for dry areas such as cheeks.
Moisturizing Tips For Your Skin Type
- Consider treating dry skin with the best moisturizer for dry skin that has natural oils coconut oil and olive oil.
- Do not over moisturize with the best moisturizer for men/women even if you have dry skin.
- The best moisturizer for dry skin, oily skin, or other skin types should also have SPF 30 or higher.
- Avoid artificial fragrances, preservatives, and dyes if your skin is sensitive.
- Try sticking to home remedies to moisturize your skin instead of store-bought products labeled as ‘best moisturizer for men or women’.
- If your skin produces excess sebum, apply the best moisturizer for men/women with oily skin only when your skin feels dry.
- People with dry skin should use the best moisturizer for dry skin at least twice a day, especially after a shower or bath. It’s better to use the best moisturizer for dry skin after patting the skin to dry while it’s a bit damp.
- Individuals with rough skin should consider a hydrating facial mist they can use in combination with the best moisturizer for dry skin.
- Apart from relying on the best moisturizer for men/women according to skin type, consider keeping your body hydrated by drinking enough water.