Top 7 Education Technology Trends for 2021
Education Technology-From healthcare to finance, Education technology is intertwined in various sectors of the world. And education is not an exception to this. As per reports generated by McKinsey, students who have used their smartphones or laptops for more than 60 minutes every week were found to achieve higher academic results in the United States. In 2016, almost 81% of college students confirmed that using digital learning Education technology boosted their grades to a considerable extent. With the pandemic looming around the corner and nationwide school closures, the role of Education technology is stronger than ever in education. We are also providing paraphrasing tool services. Here are the top seven education technologies that promise to make learning 10X easier for students in and after 2021.
- Video-based learning
Video-based learning is no more restricted to watching a random science show in National Geography on a big projector screen. It is a widely accepted education technology that is quickly gaining momentum. Did you know that a human brain could process videos 60,000 quicker than texts? In fact, students are most likely to retain only 10% of textual content and 95% of audio-visual content. No matter how complex your topic, relevant visual content can make the concepts easier for you to learn.
Here are the main benefits of video-based learning:
- It is more persuasive and engaging than traditional modes of learning.
- There are different types of videos to suit the learning styles of kinaesthetic, visual and auditory learners.
- It also enhances students’ engagement and participation.
- Students get to enjoy a simpler and practical learning experience.
2. Artificial Intelligence
Whether students speak different languages or have visual or hearing impairments, AI tools make education accessible for EVERYONE. One of the best examples of AI in education is the Presentation Translator. It is a PowerPoint plugin that creates relevant subtitles in real time based on what the teacher is saying.
Here are the three amazing ways AI influences education
- Automates grading– Grading test papers or homework is a monotonous yet time-consuming task. AI can automate this task, thereby giving enough time to the teachers for interaction with students.
- Individualised learning– AI technologies can help teachers gather data about all students. Thus, they can design individualised learning plans for each student based on their academic needs, interests, skills and strengths.
- AI-driven real-time feedback– Some schools and colleges have already started using AI systems to keep track of the student progress and alert the professors whenever there is a serious blotch in the performance of any student.
3. Blockchain Education Technology
Blockchain technology provides endless and secure data storage opportunities for education. It adds new data to the system automatically without the need for manual supervision. The data is encrypted and distributed throughout various devices in the system. You can access the data with just a few clicks on your device without having to update the data manually.
Here are the three main roles of blockchain in education:
- Academic transcripts– Academic institutions usually have a hard time verifying each entry in an academic transcript to ensure the accuracy of the students’ grades. Blockchain Education technology can update student records automatically & accurately. Thus, you can get access to your certified transcript of grades with just a simple click.
- Diplomas and certificates– You can also use blockchain to issue and store your credentials and diplomas. So, all your employer has to do is click on the digital link to get access to your documents.
- Digital curricula, degrees, and records– If institutions want to store all the key information about each student, blockchain is the best Education technology for that. Hard drives can get damaged and files can get stolen. But, files on the blockchain are decentralized and safe.
4. Nano learning
Two scenarios are evident these days- a sharp increase in screen fatigue and a reduction in attention spans. From social media notifications to email alerts, there are tons of distractions around us. So, how to battle all these distractions and make the most of your classroom lectures? Here comes the role of nano learning. It is a bite-sized learning technique where students receive information in smaller amounts over a short period of time. You can receive the information as a few soundbites or other forms of relevant content on TikTok, text messages or Twitter. It becomes easier for students to process and retain pellet-sized information, thereby increasing their productivity considerably.
5. Virtual Reality
Imagine sitting at your desks and exploring the mesmerising Taj Mahal without having to leave the classroom. Yes, virtual reality can help you experience destinations from all over the world within the confines of your classroom. VR technology consists of interactive content that lets the viewer explore the total 360 degrees of a scene. It not only sparks the students’ imagination but also encourages them to think creatively. You can also learn through experience and not just via the traditional methods of reading and writing.
6. Learning analytics
Learning analytics help, teachers analyse and evaluate the academic progress & learning processes of each student on the web itself. For instance, let’s say teachers see that a student performs exceptionally good using a paraphrasing tool. So, they can try to use that tool more in their following lesson plans. Similarly, if the teachers find that the students find the use of images or infographics more interesting, they can customise the learning plan accordingly. Learning analytics also reveal the academic challenges faced by each student. So, the teachers can find a way to help those students.
7. Online Learning
Online learning is one of the most popular buzzwords in education, especially after the pandemic. You get to study the subject you are interested in within the comforts of your home in this system of learning. It is also easier to ask for help in online learning. For instance, let’s say you can’t write your essay. So, you drop a message ‘help me write my essay’ on an online forum. You will find tons of suggestions and tips pouring in from all parts of the world.
All you need is an electronic device like a mobile phone or a laptop and an internet connection. There are online courses available as well. So, unless the pandemic is completely over, you can continue your studies or get a degree via these online courses.
Benefits of online learning:
- Unlike traditional learning system, online learning doesn’t need a classroom or a brick and mortar school. You can attend your classes from your room itself. Thus, you needn’t have to worry about accommodation and travel costs.
- You get enough time to write your assignments and submit them to the professors. Flexible deadlines are one of the major advantages of online learning. So, let’s say you need help while writing essays.
- The competition is reasonable in this system of learning. You get to learn at your pace without having to rush through assignments, exams, etc.
The future of the world relies on the education of our future generations. And the education of our future generations depends on the impact of Education technology. The technologies have the potential to make learning impactful and flexible for all students. But, for that, every student should get access to an internet connection and at least a smartphone. Let’s just see how long the government takes to make these educational technologies accessible to all kinds of students in this world.
Henry Howkins is one of the brains behind the paraphrasing tool at MyAssignmenthelp.com. He also works as a web developer at a reputed firm in the United Kingdom. Robert loves to travel during the weekends.